Friday, June 3, 2011

Healthy Food Friday!




Today's healthy food is Broccoli.  I am not a fan of broccoli but I'm trying because it is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.  Other similar foods: Bok Choy, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, and mustard greens. 

Why is broccoli so healthy? It contains lots cancer fighting stuff that can detoxify carcinogens and flush them out of the body, plus eye-healthy beta carotene which can prevent cataracts, and lutein, which can protect against age-realted macular degeneration. Broccoli also has antibacterial properties that kill bacteria that cause ulcers and play a role in stomach cancer.

Raw broccoli contains the most vitamin C and folate, while cooking it makes some other nutrients more available.  It can be used in dips, casseroles, stir fry, salad, soups,  or tossed with pasta. Leftover broccoli can be chopped into chili, sloppy joes, and soup. 

I don't have a favorite broccoli recipe to share because I have to admit that I have never made anything with broccoli in it.  However, I am going to make a serious effort to try it.  I am attending a "raw food" class tonight, maybe I'll come away with a new appreciation  for this super food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment