Thursday, July 21, 2011

Some New Moves!

I teach Strength and Resistance classes twice a week at the Y as well as doing my own strength workouts so I am always looking for new moves to keep it interesting.  I found a couple of great ones that seem easy, but everyone in my class (including me) found some new muscles the next day!  Some of us really like sore muscles-it reminds us that no matter how good you think you are, there is room for improvement.

Try these great no-equipment exercises:


Spider Man Press Up:This will work your chest, triceps (back of arms), abs, obliques, butt, and hips.

Start in a full push up position.  (make it easier by doing a modified version on your knees)
Bring your right knee out to hip level and toward your right elbow
Bend your elbows to 90 degrees until your knees and elbows touch (or close for beginners!)
Press up and return to start. 
Do 8 reps, switch sides and repeat.  If you can't do 8, do your best and forget the rest! (borrowed from P90X)
Click HERE for a video demonstration.  He is going faster than I do and I don't alternate, but you'll get the idea. Another version of this exercise can be found on the link below from Fitness Magazine.

I love the Livestrong website, while you're there, check out Daily Plate to start tracking your calories.  It helped me lose 10 pounds buy having to account for every bite I ate!



Sunburst Slimmer:
Start on the ground on all fours then extend your right leg behind you, toes pointed
Bending elbows and keeping them close to the body, glide torso down and forward while lifting your right leg behind you. Return to start
Do 5 reps and switch legs.

Click HERE for a video demonstration.  Every every exercise in the "Target Practice" routine on this link is great-try them all.

You will have sore shoulders and triceps after this but you will also look great in a tank top!

No comments:

Post a Comment