Monday, July 11, 2011

What was I Going to Write About?


All kidding aside, I am becoming very forgetful in my old age and it worries me as I am really not that old.  In fact, when I had to ask my daughter something for the third time, she asked if I had Alzheimer's. I really think it is because I have outsourced my brain to my laptop and Blackberry so I really don't have to remember anything anymore.  I couldn't even tell you phone numbers that I call frequently, I just push the speed dial button!   After doing some research, I found that my forgetfulness is normal, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on these symptoms.
I have listed the warning signs of Alzheimer's as well as what is "normal" as you age. 

1. Memory loss that disrupts daily life

Normal: Sometimes forgetting names or appointments, but remembering them later ( I just look them up in my Blackberry)

2. Challenges in planning or solving problems
Normal: Making occasional errors when balancing a checkbook (Again, the computer does this for me, I don't have to think)

3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure
Normal: Occasionally needing help to use the settings on a microwave or to record a television show (We just blame it on the cable company!)

4. Confusion with time or place
Normal:  Getting confused about the day of the week but figuring it out later

5. Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
Normal: Vision changes related to cataracts

6. New problems with words in speaking or writing
Normal:  Sometimes having trouble finding the right word

7. Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
Normal: Misplacing things from time to time, such as a pair of glasses or the remote control (that's why I have glasses in every room of the house)

8. Decreased or poor judgment
Normal:  Making a bad decision once in a while. (this seems to be more of a young person symptom!)

9. Withdrawal from work or social activities
Normal: Sometimes feeling weary of work, family and social obligations

10. Changes in mood and personality
Normal:  Developing very specific ways of doing things and becoming irritable when a routine is disrupted.

You must admit that you chuckled at a few of these- we have been misplacing the remote for  years and I know many people who don't want their routine interrupted.  If you or someone you know is experiencing any of these symptoms that are beyond the "normal" please see a health professional. 

Coming up- Exercises to keep your brain active and healthy in a "thinking optional" world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment