Saturday, May 14, 2011

Get Some Guns!


Lots of questions came in after my comment that you will not get bulky from lifting weights.  Let me clarify, women will NOT get bulky strictly from lifting heavy weights unless you want to.  The hormone balance between men and women is different which  means female bodybuilders need to train like crazy and take hormone supplements or steroids in order to bulk up.  I lift medium to heavy weights or use body weight 3 times per week, and while I weigh more than you would think,  I am not “bulky.”  Weight training for women is essential to fend off osteoporosis and you will find that your clothes fit better and you have an overall better feeling about yourself.  While muscle weighs more than fat, it takes up less space so even though the number on the scale doesn’t change,  you will probably need smaller clothes!  You don’t need to go to a gym, just a few dumbbells and using your own body weight can efficiently tone and strengthen.  There are several excellent workouts on Exercise on Demand, my favorite is Cindy Whitmarsh.  Otherwise, join a class or ask a trainer at your club for help getting started.  I also have a basic body weight routine that I would be happy to send to you, just e-mail me! 

I am a big believer in strength training for women,  take care of your body and it will take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment