Saturday, May 28, 2011

Let's Eat our Veggies!

Vegetarian Stir-Fry

I found this recipe on the Worlds Healthiest Foods website and thought I would give it a try.  I'm not very good about eating vegetables so I am trying to find ways to get more of them into my diet.  Luckily, my husband is not a picky eater and goes along with my experiments.  He was a little surprised by the tofu but he went back for seconds so it must have been ok.  I served it with Uncle Bens Brown Rice, it cooks in only 10 minutes.  Seaweed rice that they suggest seemed a bit extreme.  Total calories per serving of stir fry: 117!  I had 1 serving and Randy finished the rest . that's alot of food for not many calories BUT the rice adds 170 calories per 1/4 cup so I might skip that next time. 

Vegetarian Stir-Fry
Stir-fry is a wonderful way to enjoy a wide variety of health-promoting nutrients. It is also a great way to use whatever vegetables you have available in your refrigerator.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thick
  • 1 TBS vegetable broth, you could use just water
  • 4 medium cloves garlic, pressed.  I use the jarred stuff, it's easier
  • 1 TBS minced fresh ginger (I didnt have any so I used Chinese 5 spice)
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into slices.  The red adds color, you could use green if you want a less expensive pepper
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms.  I used button but you can use any type, remove stems
  • 2 cups sliced green cabbage
  • 5 oz extra firm tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 TBS light soy sauce
  • 1 TBS sesame seeds
  • salt and white pepper to taste
  • any other veggies you have on hand such as carrots, celery, etc.

Directions:
  1. Slice onions and press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes
  2. Prepare rest of vegetables.
  3. Heat 1 TBS broth in a stainless steel wok or 12 inch skillet. Stir fry onion for about 2 minutes in broth over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
  4. Add red pepper, mushrooms, cabbage and any other  veggies. Continue to stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and continue to cook stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add rest of ingredients and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  6. Serves 4 (at our house it served 2)
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Seaweed Rice

From start to finish this took about 15 minutes, depending on how fussy you are with your chopping.  I started the rice, then stir-frying at the same time and they finished up in 10 minutes.  I have to say it was tasty and filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment